A resurgent interest in treating hypertension and high blood pressure with natural methods has shown an inverse correlation between dietary potassium intake and arterial blood pressure. In short, if enough potassium is included in the diet, the arteries are less clogged, and blood can pass through them with ease and efficiency to be recirculated to the heart. In short again, research shows that eating more potassium-rich foods can lower blood pressure and boost heart health.
Other evidence also proves that there may be a link between potassium and the modification of the central or peripheral neural mechanism that regulates blood pressure. Eating more potassium may even be more effective than lowering sodium intake (which isn’t accurate anyway) to control high blood pressure. The recommended daily allowance is at least 4700 mg for both women and men.
Potassium is a mineral which supports the liver, the heart, kidneys and other organs to work properly, so it is important for more than just controlling hypertension. Here are 11 foods rich in potassium which you should incorporate into your diet regularly:
11 Potassium-Rich Foods
- 1. Sweet Potatoes – Just one medium sweet potato contains about 550 mg of potassium. They also happen to be full of beta carotene and vitamin A.
- 2. Beet Greens – Not only are these greens full of Vitmains A and K, there is a whopping 655 mg in just a ½ cup of beet greens.
- 3. Potatoes with the Skin On – Leaving the skin on your potatoes and eating just one medium potato will offer you more than 610 mg of potassium.
- 4. Oranges and Orange Juice (Fresh Squeezed, not GMO) – In 6 ounces of OJ, you can find around 280 mg of potassium.
- 5. Apples and Apple Juice – A single small apple or ½ a cup of apple juice has more than 150 mg of potassium.
- 6. White Beans – These great little beans offer a source of protein, fiber and 595 mg of potassium per ½ cup.
Find this at Prepper Podcast Radio Network 11 Potassium Rich Foods to Naturally Boost Your Health | Prepper Podcast Radio Network http://www.prepperpodcast.com/11-potassium-rich-foods-to-naturally-boost-your-health/#ixzz2koQNmacJ
Follow us: @Prepperpodcast on Twitter