As women, we have a few personal concerns that we’ll need to consider if SHTF. Namely, we won’t have access to personal hygiene items. Also, we’ll likely be responsible for cooking and caring for laundry and other such mundane tasks, so you’ll want to make sure that you stockpile what you’ll need to make life easier.
Don’t go all women’s lib on me here – it’s a reality that we’re going to need to do the jobs we’re most adept at.
Women will possibly face unique dangers in a post-SHTF world. It’s not something that we want to think about, but it’s something that we NEED to think about.
So, here goes.
If you’re still having your menses, you’re going to need supplies. As an aside, if you have extra stockpiled, they would make EXCELLENT barter items. You do have a few options here including:
- Stockpiling disposable tampons or pads. If you do this, don’t forget that disposal will be an issue; the garbage man probably won’t be knocking! If you choose this route, it’s probably best to opt for tampons. They’re smaller and will be less difficult to dispose of properly.
- Diva Cups or Moon Cups. These are reusable cups that sit directly beneath your cervix and collect your flow. You can wear them for up to 12 hours at a time, remove them, empty them, clean them, and reinsert. One can last up to a year, so stockpiling long-term is a piece of cake.
- Reusable Pads. These are reusable – you just wash them well after each use. It’s what women did for centuries before WWII when disposables hit the market. You can buy pre-made ones or make your own. There are patterns all over the internet for them.
- Sea Sponges. These are used just as you’d use tampons, except they’re re-usable and biodegradable. You can either buy the ones made specifically for use as tampons or you can simply buy sea sponges, sterilize them, and make your own for a fraction of the cost.
Post-SHTF is probably not the best time to be bringing a baby into the world, assuming you live through the pregnancy and birth. Since it’s your body, you need to be the one in control of the birth control. Again, you have some options:
- Stockpile your pills. Though this isn’t the best option for long-term prepping, it will do for short-term emergencies if you can manage to stash back a few months’ or a year’s supply.
- Condoms. The only problem with condoms is that you’re going to need a huge supply, especially if you’re in a committed relationship or otherwise planning on having frequent sex. Disposal is also an issue.
- Natural Family Planning. This method simply involves understanding your cycle and knowing when you’re fertile. It’s the practice recommended by the Catholic Church and there is a ton of info available on the net, too. Use authority sites to ensure that you’re getting accurate intel.
- Diaphragm. This is a great option if you’re not worried about STD’s. It’s disposable, you can stockpile a few of them for long-term use, and it’s extremely effective.
You don’t want to think about it, but you’re going to be a woman in a potentially lawless society. That means that the men who are scumbags now won’t have the fear of prison to keep them from abusing women physically or sexually.
You’re going to have to take up for yourself, even if you have a strong husband or even a group. You’re going to be alone at one point or another. Find a small weapon, preferably a knife or a small pistol, that you can carry concealed on your person at all times for the purpose of self-defense.
Special First Aid Supplies
First aid kits are already a necessity for any survival kit but for women, there are a few “extra” supplies that you’ll need. Yeast infection medications, PMS medications, pain killers for menstrual pain and even emergency childbirth supplies should be included on your list.
Women suffer from osteoporosis much more frequently than men. Since a broken bone could be lethal in a SHTF situation, you need to protect yourself by ensuring that you get enough calcium. Since good food sources of calcium may be in short supply, it’s a good idea to stockpile supplements. If you’re not able to get sunshine, you may want to stockpile vitamin D as well, since your body needs it to absorb the calcium.
Personal Hygiene Items
Though personal hygiene isn’t going to be vital to survival, strictly speaking, it WILL be crucial to your morale. Sometimes girls need to feel girly, even when SHTF. Cleaning up, brushing your teeth and putting on lotion that smells good will do wonders for your outlook. Those items also make excellent barter items, so stockpile extra if you can.
As badly as you may hate to think about it, if things REALLY go south, you may find out what extremes you’re willing to go to feed yourself or your family. A good stockpile of barter items may save you from needing to do something that is morally disagreeable to you, and it may even save your life. Items such as toothpaste, lotion, soap, shampoo and other hygiene items are great items to barter with.
Women have special needs during tough times and this list probably isn’t inclusive but it does at least give you a place to start. Though times won’t be easy, if you prepare as well as you can, you’ll be heads and shoulders above those who don’t. Make your prepping plans, build your stockpile, and educate yourself on how to live without modern conveniences. Better to be prepared for something that never happens than to be unprepared if it does!
Article Source: http://www.survivopedia.com/7femalitems/